There is a bagel shop here in Cape Town called Max Bagels and I almost had a heart attack when I found it. I love bagels and I thought I had said goodbye when I moved here from the US. When I went in, I asked what smears (or cream cheese) options they had. The man replied, "Well, South Africans aren't really there yet. We are easing them into the whole bagel idea. So we have tons of toppings and options you can add to a bagel with cream cheese." I didn't mind. It actually was quite creative, and ended up being delicious. After all, lox on a bagel is one of my favorite foods of all time. So, I found some ideas via Pinterest of how you too can up your bagel game.
1. Ricotta & Tomato- Spread fresh ricotta on a bagel of your choice. Add heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and a drizzle of oil oil.
2. Classic Lox- You all know this one, but I had to include. Plain cream cheese, smoked salmon, red onion, capers, and tomato if you please.
3. Dill Cream Cheese & Avocado- Try a toasted sesame seed bagel. Add dill to cream cheese & mix the spread. Season with black pepper if you desire. Add the new spread to a toasted bagel and top with fresh avocado. Finish with a pinch of salt & more black pepper.
4. California Bagel- Mix fresh chives with salt & pepper into your cream cheese. You could also use greek yogurt or mayo instead. Spread onto toasted bagel. Next, chop and dice avocado, tomato, cucumber, fresh basil or cilantro, and mix together with a squeeze of lime juice. Before adding the mixture to your bagel, add alfalfa sprouts to the cream cheese and melt pepper jack cheese onto the bagel. Finally, add mixture to this and eat right away!
5. Prosciutto, Arugula, & Poached Egg- Toast bagel of your choice, add butter or spread of your choice. Top with arugula, seared (baked, or raw) prosciutto, and a poached egg. Enjoy!
Hope you enjoy these delicious bagels. I'm getting hungry just writing about them!